Visiting the Royal Exchange

 Since I saw the picture of F&M at the Royal Exchange, I have always wanted to go there. So, it was a chance for me to experience such a historical location through a visit as a class study. 




 At first, I was confused why the shopping mall is called “exchange,” so I did brief research on this luxurious building. The heritage of the Royal Exchange begins in the 16th century as Sir Thomas Gresham, a famous English merchant and financier, establishes the Royal Exchange as an exchange. It is London’s first purpose-built centre for trading stocks modelled on the Bourse in Antwerp, Belgium. However, the original The Royal Exchange was destroyed by the Great Fire of London in 1666, and then the second one in 1838. The third Royal Exchange was built in 1844, and we can see it nowadays. The architecture is based on the original layout yet adds a striking eight-column entrance, like the Pantheon in Rome. In 2001, the Royal Exchange is transformed into a luxurious shopping centre, holding its heritage over 400 years. 



 The luxury stores are brilliantly integrated into the authentic building; the arch is high, so it feels spacious. In the centre there is a café of Fortnum and Mason, and you can see many people in suits enjoy a glass of whisky or a chat over cups of tea. The restaurants are located on the first floor so you can enjoy the entire view of the Royal Exchange from the balcony. Through the visit, I felt it was impressive and imagined what it was like 400 years ago. Because of its openness, you feel you’re not suffocated by the building; freely enjoy the shopping experience there. 

 Overall, I think it is a great experience for visitors to feel the heritage and elegance at once.

コメント

人気の投稿